Published: 07 August 2012
Are you trying to install Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP 2 (or 1) or any Roll up dates and getting the below error messages ?
This post has 3 different error fix which stop my installation, if you lucky enough to not have one of them , just skip that section, and move to the section of the post which is related to you
1) Admin Tools Role is not current / Mailbox , Client Access , Hub Transport Role is not current error
2) Mailbox Role Failed, error indicates “Public Folder Database” Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null. Even though Admin Tools issues has been fixed!
3) Beremote has open files error
This server role can’t be installed because the following roles aren’t current: MailboxRole , or
This server role can’t be installed because the following roles aren’t current: ClientAccessRole , or
This server role can’t be installed because the following roles aren’t current: HubTransportRole, or
This server role can’t be installed because the following roles aren’t current: Admin Tools R
Does your installation stop with this errors and “click here for help” is not giving you a specific answer ?
Here is the steps on how I did fix the issue.
Admin Tools Role is not current:
To fix this error you have to open the registry in your Exchange Server and check the “ConfiguredVersion” and “UnpackedVersion” keys , they should be all same
For Microsoft Exchange Server SP1: 22.214.171.124
For Microsoft Exchange Server SP2: 126.96.36.199
STEPS to fix this issue
1) Open Exchange Management Shell , enter the below cmd to check and verify the Admin Tools version
Get-ExchangeServer | FL
Write the Admin Display Version [This screenshot has the “correct” settings ]
AdminDisplayVersion: Version 14.2 (Build 247.5)
2) Open the registry editor, navigate to :
and compare the registry entries for the below keys: and make sure they are same
They have to be all same, if not modify the keys based on your Service Pack .
In my case the values where : 188.8.131.52 for ConfiguredVersion in the MailboxRole,ClientAccessRole & HubTransportRole. I did modify them to be same as in the above screenshot 184.108.40.206 which fixed the
3) Delete the “action” and “watermark keys” from the registry.
4) Reboot your Server , restart the Service Pack installation process.
Mailbox Role Failed, error indicates PublicFolderDatabase Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.
You did fix the Admin Tools issue, rebooted your server, restarted your Service Pack installation process, and let me guess , you still cannot see the “installation completed successfully” message, instead:
The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
$publicDB = get-PublicFolderDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue;
$DB = get-MailboxDatabase -Server:$RoleFqdnOrName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue;
if ($publicDB -and $DB)
" was run: "Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.".
Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Identity' because it is null.
Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=220.127.116.11&e=ms.exch.err.Ex88D115&l=0&cl=cp
Elapsed Time: 00:16:44
If you really don’t have any public folder, Don’t worry, I have a solution for you If you do have a public folder database then make sure to take a backup , before you do the steps.
1) Open the registry editor, navigate to :
2) Delete the Watermark key
3) Check the UnpackedVersion Data value and make sure its same with the AdminTool Value
4) As you may have noticed , I am missing the ConfiguredVersion key, go ahead and create the key, and make sure to add the data as:
ConfiguredVersion should have Data value as: 18.104.22.168
5) Reboot the Server
6) Restart the Service Pack Installation
beremote() Error Fix Steps
Error: Setup cannot continue with the upgrade because the “beremote()” process has open files
This error will happen if you have a third party backup software installed in your Exchange Server environment. In my case I had Symantec Backup Exec 2012 installed, so the solution was , the stop the Backup Exec services via services.msc
I hope you will see the below screenshot when you done
Did you ever wanted to become an Ethical ...
This short course is designed to partially ...
Penetration Testing Framework 0.58 This post ...
If you are trying to use the ...
Speakers: Alan Burchill, Jeremy Moskowitz, ...
Since I have starterd to work for Kemp ...
Did you miss the life sessions for EC Council ...
Microsoft Egypt is Hiring ! If you are based in ...
Articles Most Read
- Certified Ethical Hacking course for FREE
- Free Course :EC Council Network Security Administrator
- Penetration Testing Framework 0.58
- Fix: Couldn’t connect to the source mailbox
- Desktop Security with Windows 7 Applocker, Bitlocker, Forefront End Point Protection
- NLB vs Hardware Load Balancer
- EC Council ENSA Online Course
- Microsoft Egypt is Hiring
- Fix: Exchange Server 2010 SP update errors
- E-Mail Crimes and Violations (how the leakage could occur)